Department: IT Services
Salary: £34,220 - £40,194 (Grade 4)
Location: Mile End
Date posted: 07-Feb-2020
Closing date: 16-Feb-2020
About Queen Mary
At Queen Mary University of London, we believe that a diversity of ideas helps us achieve the previously unthinkable.
Throughout our history, we’ve fostered social justice and improved lives through academic excellence. And we continue to live and breathe this spirit today, not because it’s simply ‘the right thing to do’ but for what it helps us achieve and the intellectual brilliance it delivers.
Our reformer heritage informs our conviction that great ideas can and should come from anywhere. It’s an approach that has brought results across the globe, from the communities of East London to the favelas of Rio de Janeiro.
We continue to embrace the diversity of thought and opinion in everything we do, in the belief that when views collide, disciplines interact, and perspectives intersect, truly original thought takes form.
About the Role
Technology is changing the dynamics of education, especially the relationship between teachers and students. From the rapid evolution of online courses to the widespread use of mobile devices that support a variety of blended learning models, technology is creating new challenges and opportunities for educational institutions.
The University’s strategic agenda demands new solutions and fast responses to threats and opportunities. This is against the backdrop of an uncertain and turbulent world, where prescribed functions and standardised processes are unable to respond appropriately to new, unexpected scenarios and business moments. In response to these changes, IT Services prepared exciting and ambitious Enabling Plan with the following programmes underpinning Change Delivery:
- Digital Workplace
- Staff and Student Service Management
- Next Generation of University Applications
- Digital Engagement (social media, CRM)
- Business Intelligence and Data Management
- Research Infrastructure and Tooling
- Next generation IT Infrastructure
- IT Governance and Strategy
Reporting to the Director of IT Transformation, the role will be supporting various initiatives across IT Services department to delivery ‘Future ITS’ organisational transformation. To name a few:
- Support development of the Operating Model to secure capacity and capability needed to deliver the exciting and ambitious plans.
- Transform delivery of the ITS Change to execute programme’s delivery against the ITS enabling plan underpinning the Queen Mary 2030 strategy
- Align operating models with the Professional Services transformation programme
- Consolidate and broaden the Cybersecurity and Data Governance across the organisation
The post-holder will be enthusiastic, entrepreneurial, and love to constantly learn and be challenged. The post-holder should have a positive and creative problem-solving mentality and approach to your work and value integrity and humbleness highly so the ideal support officer should possess these traits too. They will be supporting Director of Transformation in their day to day schedules, and will act very much as their ‘right hand’.
Your responsibilities will be varied and include, but won’t be limited to:
- Supporting transformation initiatives.
- Developing plans and executing them.
- Minor projects management.
- Development and support of recruitment and resourcing models.
- Organising multiple events throughout the year e.g. town hall meetings, all staff briefings, senior stakeholders’ engagement and consultations with staff of all levels.
- Research and projects.
- Act as the point of contact between the Director of Transformation and employees/customers.
- Create regular reports and update internal databases.
- Manage diary, phone calls and emails.
- Respond promptly to managers’ queries.
- Facilitate internal communication (e.g. distribute information and schedule presentations).
- Check for quality and completeness of papers, reports and information submitted to relevant stakeholders.
- Support the collation and submission of project/reports status summaries and communications as required.
- Produce high-quality project status summary and communications as required.
- Organise meetings and workshops, administering travel and accommodation arrangements as necessary.
- Provide advice, support and solutions to all relevant stakeholders.
- Review and write/update ITS internal processes and procedures e.g. remote/home working, use of issued mobile phones, call-out procedures, development of backup and cover policy for key staff.
- Support the Director of Transformation office in the management of resources.
About the IT Services Department
The IT Services function sits within the Professional Services Department and is part of the professional services group that enable and facilitate the success of our students and academics. Along with other professional service areas the IT Services seeks to deliver value for money through technology, efficiency, economy, effectiveness and equity.
We offer competitive salaries, access to a generous pension scheme, 30 days’ annual leave, a season ticket loan scheme and access to a comprehensive range of personal and professional development opportunities. In addition, we offer a range of work-life balance and family-friendly, inclusive employment policies, and campus facilities including an on-site nursery at the Mile End campus
The role is full-time and fixed-term for 9 months. The post holder will be required to carry out duties at all University sites, 5 days a week, with an expected start date by March 2020.
Starting salary will be Grade 4, in the range of £34,220 - £40,194 per annum, inclusive of London Allowance.
Queen Mary’s commitment to our diverse and inclusive community is embedded in our appointments processes. Reasonable adjustments will be made at each stage of the recruitment process for any candidate with a disability. We are open to considering applications from candidates wishing to work flexibly.
Informal enquiries should be addressed to Fatuma Mahad, Director of IT Transformation Projects and Change, firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for the role, please click the ‘apply’ button below.
The closing date for applications is Sunday, the 16th February 2020. Interviews are expected to be held shortly thereafter.
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality