Department: IT Services
Salary: £38,084-£41,299 (Grade 5)
Location: Mile End
Date posted: 29-Jan-2020
Closing date: 15-Mar-2020
We are seeking an experienced IT professional to join the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science IT support group. The group comprises of up to five specialist staff and a number of part-time help-desk analysts. This role is to assist in the management of the Linux/Windows and web infrastructure and to develop and maintain exemplars of cutting-edge services suitable for a leading technology-led academic school.
The School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) is an exciting and dynamic environment with a research portfolio of over £42 million. The School has more than 70 research-active academic staff, around 60 post-doctoral researchers and about 220 PhD students. Six academics hold prestigious research fellowships from organisations such as EPSRC and the Royal Academy of Engineering. The School offers a wide range of courses, over 30 in total ranging from financial computing to computer vision.
Critical to both the teaching and research missions of the School is a robust and flexible IT infrastructure, and high-quality support structure. IT support for the School is provided by both the college’s central IT Services department, and a dedicated team located within the School.
The School is heterogeneous from a client perspective but has significant investment in Linux infrastructure and an extensive understanding in Linux from both a desktop and server perspective will be an attribute expected in a successful candidate.
The main duties of the post are:
- Manage the Centos/RHEL Linux infrastructure for the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
- Provide support, configuration and development of the web services of the School
- Installation of IT server equipment based on academic needs
- Operating system installation and on-going day-to-day management
- Package management and update deployment of Linux/Windows systems
- Documentation and training end-users and other administrators
- Troubleshooting with end-users and other key IT staff
- Reporting of service availability and security auditing
- Monitor the requests and incidents on the service desk and drive the team to provide a service valued by the School’s staff and students.
- Proactively plan for the IT needs for upcoming academic terms, by engaging with lecturers to understand the requirements for their courses.
The post is full time, and permanent, starting salary will be in the range of £38,084 - £41,299 per annum, inclusive of London Allowance. Benefits include 30 days annual leave, pension scheme and interest-free season ticket loan.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. Where required this may include entry clearance or continued leave to remain under the Points Based Immigration Scheme.
Informal enquiries should be addressed to the Head of EECS IT Support, Keith Bancroft firstname.lastname@example.org or on +44 (0) 020 7882 6388.
To apply for the role, please click the ‘apply’ button below.
The closing date for applications is 15th March 2020. Interviews are expected to be held shortly thereafter.
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality