Department: School of Biological & Chemical Sciences
Salary: £38,084 (Grade 5)
Location: Mile End
Date posted: 27-Apr-2020
Closing date: 05-Jul-2020
We invite applications for a Finance Manager for the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, Queen Mary University of London to work on a major EU INTERREG France (Channel) England funded project co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund investigating the extent, sources and solutions to plastic pollution across the region. It involves 18 research and end-user partner organisations in England and France.
We are seeking to recruit a highly numerate candidate who is confident with financial data, and its analysis and interpretation for different audiences. And who has had significant experience of overseeing the financial management of high value contracts and projects with an excellent knowledge and experience of financial systems (e.g. Agresso) and accounting methodologies.
The successful candidate will:
- Oversee and financially manage the preparation and submission of six monthly financial claims and audit compliant evidence to the INTERREG Joint Secretariat, and liaison with the First Level Controller (auditor).
- Provide high quality, professional financial management expertise to the Project Lead and partners to monitor and analyse financial performance to identify risks and mitigations.
- Manage the project procurement and the category requirements to identify and deliver best value and compliant solutions for stakeholders and support the value for money agenda.
- Oversee compliance with financial and procurement regulations.
The post holder must have:
- Excellent communication skills, with demonstrable ability to effect change through collaboration, negotiation, influencing and problem solving.
- Excellent people skills; evidence of managing relationships with stakeholders at all levels.
- Significant experience in managing large and complex procurement and knowledge of legislation around financial and procurement regulations
- Confidence with financial data and its analysis and interpretation for different audiences.
It is expected that the successful candidate will have a University Degree or equivalent.
Awareness of EU funder rules or experience of financial management of grant funding, including of EU projects, preferably funded by INTERREG and other schemes such as ERDF is desirable. As is a good understanding of the higher education sector.
The post is full time and is fixed term until 31 March 2023 when the funding period ends. The post may be based at the River Laboratory, Wareham, Dorset, or at the School of Biological Sciences, Mile End, London. Applicant to state preferred location in their application.
The expected start date is 1st August 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter. The salary is £38,084 per annum and is inclusive of London Allowance. Benefits include 30 days’ annual leave (pro rata) and a pension scheme.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. Where required this may include entry clearance or continued leave to remain under the Points Based Immigration Scheme.
Informal enquiries should be addressed to Iwan Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org
Details about the school can be found at http://www.sbcs.qmul.ac.uk/
To apply for the role please click the link below.
The closing date for applications is 5th July 2020. Interviews are expected to be held shortly thereafter.
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality