Department: Careers and Enterprise Centre, Student Services Directorate
Salary: £33,615 to £39,483 (pro rata) (Grade 4)
Location: Mile End
Date posted: 19-Feb-2019
Closing date: 04-Mar-2019
The Careers and Enterprise team supports all Queen Mary University of London students to develop their employability during and after graduation. The post holder will join our Employer Engagement Team to deliver a dedicated suite of opportunities for School of Physics and Astronomy (SPA) undergraduates and postgraduates to engage with employers and alumni.
The post holder will initiate and maintain relationships with a range of employers and alumni, proactively negotiating opportunities for internships and other forms of work experience. The post holder will then coordinate the full internship cycle, including marketing to students, running selection processes and gathering feedback post-internship from employers and students.
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for:
- Engaging with Alumni from the school, encouraging them to support students through networking, attending events or offering work-based experience
- Securing a number of ring-fenced internships for SPA students through new or existing relationships
- Connecting with businesses in sectors where SPA students are likely to gain employment
- Working with employers to create events on campus for students (alumni panel discussions, employer speed-meets)
- Managing the South East Physics Network (SEPnet) summer placements as part of the SEPnet partner team
- Advertising careers events to students through newsletters, posters and lecture announcements
The School of Physics and Astronomy is proud to be 1st in London for student satisfaction for four years running, National Student survey (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014) and is a recognised centre of excellence in both research and teaching. Academic staff are experts in their fields, and their research has played a role in some of the most exciting discoveries of the past 100 years, including discovery of the W, Z and Higgs boson, and fundamental work on the development of string theory. Most recently, research at Queen Mary led to the discovery of the closest ever exoplanet to Earth, Proxima b. The student and staff community is diverse and vibrant.
This post is centrally managed – to maximize benefit from Careers and Enterprise employer networks – but services are delivered locally in the School. To succeed in the role, the post holder must become well-embedded in School life, and support School priorities.
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven experience of business development and managing a diverse customer base
- Demonstrate the ability to work to targets
- Experience in event management
- An understanding of careers prospects for students studying courses related to Physics and Astronomy
- A keen interest in helping students build employability.
The role is part-time at 17.5 hours per week and is a permanent contract. Salary will be in the range of £33,615 to £39,483 pro rata, inclusive of London Allowance. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and pension scheme.
You can find out more about Queen Mary Careers and Enterprise at www.careers.qmul.ac.uk.
You can find out more about Queen Mary’s School of Physics and Astronomy at https://www.qmul.ac.uk/spa/
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. Where required this may include entry clearance or continued leave to remain under the Points Based Immigration Scheme.
To apply and for full job details, including a job description and person specification, please visit http://www.jobs.qmul.ac.uk/ and search for reference QMUL17339.
Application process enquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Informal enquiries about the role can be directed to Emma Taylor, Employer Engagement and Business Development Manager, email@example.com.
The closing date for all applications is 4 March 2019.
Interviews are expected to take place shortly afterwards.
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality