Department: School of Biological & Chemical Sciences
Salary: £37,411 to £44,015 per annum (Grade 5)
Date posted: 01-Nov-2018
Closing date: 14-Nov-2018
The School of Biological and Chemical Sciences (SBCS) is one of the largest Schools within Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) covering Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Sciences as well as Psychology. The School is committed to excellence in research and teaching, and offers a lively and stimulating environment for both staff and students.
In this role, you will have overall responsibility for the effective day-to-day management, as well as a duty to provide expert technical support for research activities in the Organismal Biology Department. You will be directly responsible for managing the Evolutionary Genomics Facilities and Cat 2 lab, as well as overseeing all of the other facilities and laboratories within the Organismal Biology Department including the Organismal and Environmental Science Analytical Laboratories and Organismal Facilities.
The responsibilities of the role include –
- Provide specialist technical support and training to all users including but not exclusively analysing samples, conducting experiments and carry out routine tasks which are currently carried out by academics.
- Assist the HODs in operational and strategic management and planning of the research laboratories within the Department.
- Line management of the technical team including the Organismal and Environmental Science Analytical Laboratories Manager, the Organismal Facilities Manager and the Genomics Technician in the Organismal Biology Department.
- Providing expert advice, training and trouble-shooting service to all users of the research laboratories.
- Assist the Health and Safety co-ordinator for the Fogg Building in maintaining a positive safety culture in the research laboratories.
- Plan, establish and lead an evolutionary genomics facility including designing of experiments and calculating charges, setting up protocols and launching cutting edge technologies for high throughput sequencing e.g. IRYS, BioNano Genomics.
- Support researcactivity through the provision of specialist knowledge and services to internal and external users, including developing novel techniques and procedures.
- Support research and teaching needs more generally within the School to ensure high quality technical support is provided. This may involve on occasion working in other laboratories in support of wider School needs for research and teaching.