Department: Research Services
Salary: Salary will be in the range of £36,677pa - £43,152pa (Grade 5)
Date posted: 12-Dec-2017
Closing date: 10-Jan-2018
Queen Mary University of London is a leading UK higher education establishment with a dynamic research policy that aims to expand our involvement in European Union funded research projects and build on our impressive existing EU grant portfolio. In 2012, QMUL invested in a new European Unit as a section of the Joint Research Management Office (JRMO) to support academics and researchers across Queen Mary University of London and Barts Health NHS Trust.
The EU Unit provides a comprehensive pre and post award support service with all aspects of EU funding across all three faculties of QMUL. It aims to provide an effective and efficient service to meet predetermined deadlines, support the development and delivery of competitive and high quality proposals and projects, ensure compliance with EU regulations and funder requirements and to assist in the achievement of QMUL’s strategic objectives.
This post presents an exciting opportunity for an ambitious individual who has prior experience of EU research funding in post award financial management and administration. The principal duties of the post include:
- Providing post award administrative and financial management to academics and departmental administrative staff to ensure an effective and efficient service is provided from grant agreement to post project completion.
- Liaising with academics, UK/EU partners, subcontractors and European Commission officials on finance queries and matters arising.
- Assistance with budget planning and control, the preparation of interim and final claims, partner payments and assistance with audit preparation in compliance with EC funding requirements and to ensure best practice is adopted.
- Maintenance of record keeping systems to meet College and EU funder requirements.
- Attend, where necessary, partnership meetings and give presentations on financial information where required
The successful candidate should have an excellent knowledge and practical experience of financial accounting and administration, be highly numerate, and use key software packages including MS Excel and Agresso (or other equivalent software). You will have awareness and proven professional experience of specialist European funding programmes including the EU R&D Framework Programmes (particularly Horizon 2020 and FP7), and other international R&D programmes. An excellent communicator, you will be proficient in time management, meticulous attention to detail, work well under pressure and have proven organisational skills. This is an ever changing and challenging environment and we will require someone with a high degree of competency in both numeracy and general administrative skills to build on the development of the service and to support any future changes.
The position is a full-time appointment, with a fixed term of 24 months. Salary range £36,677pa – £43,152pa.
The Joint Research Management Office is proud of its high service levels and, therefore, applicants should be committed to furthering or developing their expertise in research administration. For an informal chat about the post please contact Vicky Byers EU Section Manager on 0207 882 7251.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. Where required this may include entry clearance or continued leave to remain under the Points Based Immigration Scheme.
The closing date for applications is 10 January 2018. Interviews are expected to be held shortly thereafter.
Promoting excellence in teaching, learning and research
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality