Department: School of Biological & Behavioural Sciences
Salary: £38,655 - £45,479 (Grade 5)
Location: Mile End
Date posted: 27-Sep-2021
Closing date: 24-Oct-2021
The School of Biological and Behavioural Sciences is one of the largest Schools within Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) covering Biology, Biochemistry and Psychology. The school is committed to excellence in research and teaching, and offers a lively and stimulating environment for both staff and students.
The post-holder will be directly responsible for managing the Evolutionary Genomics Facilities and CL2 laboratory, as well as overseeing all other facilities and laboratories within the Department including the Analytical Laboratories and Biology Facilities.
The main responsibilities include –
- Provide specialist technical advice, support and training to all users of the research laboratories including but not exclusively to analysing samples, conducting experiments and carrying out routine tasks.
- Assist the Head of Department in operational and strategic management of the research laboratories.
- Effective day-to-day management of the technical team including the Analytical Laboratory Manager, Biology Facilities Manager, Genomics Technician and the Molecular Microbiology Technician.
- Assist the Health and Safety co-ordinator in maintaining a positive safety culture in the laboratories.
- Lead the genomics facility including designing of experiments and calculating charges, setting up protocols for cutting edge technologies e.g. Saphyr, BioNano Genomics and PromethION, Oxford Nanopore Technologies.
Applicants must have a relevant BSc degree or extensive work experience in a related laboratory technician role. Experience of Health & Safety procedures in biological laboratories, experience of working in a research environment either within HEI or Facilities and experience of interacting with researchers and working in a research team are essential criteria for this post.
At QMUL, we believe that a diversity of ideas helps us achieve the previously unthinkable. Throughout our history, we’ve fostered social justice and improved lives through academic excellence. We continue to live and breathe this spirit today, not because it’s simply ‘the right thing to do’ but for what it helps us achieve and the intellectual brilliance it delivers. We are a proud supporter of the Technician Commitment.
We offer competitive salaries, access to a generous pension scheme, 30 days’ leave per annum, a season ticket loan scheme, staff networks and access to a comprehensive range of personal and professional development opportunities. In addition, we offer a range of work life balance and family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, and campus facilities including an on-site nursery at the Mile End campus.
Queen Mary’s commitment to our diverse and inclusive community is embedded in our appointments processes. Reasonable adjustments will be made at each stage of the recruitment process for any candidate with a disability.
Informal enquiries should be addressed to Professor Stephen Rossiter (email@example.com) with ‘Biology Dept Lab Manager’ as the subject header.
To apply for the role, please click the link below.
The closing date for applications is 24 October 2021. Interviews are expected to be held shortly thereafter.
The School of Biological and Chemical Sciences holds a Silver Athena SWAN Award. We are committed to the equality of opportunities. As part of the School’s commitment to the Athena SWAN principles, we strongly encourage applications from BAME staff.
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality