Department: Students' Union
Salary: Starting salary will be within the range £38,665pa - £45,479pa (Grade 5)
Location: Mile End
Date posted: 28-Sep-2021
Closing date: 10-Oct-2021
Queen Mary University of London Students Union (QMSU) provides students and staff with a wide range of opportunities for participating in sport, and this provision is managed by the QMSU sport department. The priorities for the development and delivery of sport at Queen Mary are guided by the QMSU Sport Strategy, which currently has the following objectives:
- Enhancing physical and mental wellbeing
- Having a positive impact on Queen Mary University of London student experience
- Helping to build a Queen Mary University of London community
- Operating in an ethical and sustainable manner.
As part of the provision of sport for students and staff the QMSU operates sport and fitness facilities at the Mile End (Qmotion Sport & Fitness Centre) and Charterhouse Square (Fitness to Practice) campuses, with Qmotion Sport & Fitness Centre being the flagship facility.
The General Managers role will be to ensure the efficient, professional, and safe day to day running of the Sport and Fitness Centres, in line with objectives of the QMSU Sport Strategy. To provide a range of diverse and accessible sport & fitness activities to students, staff, and members of the community with consistently high levels of customer service, through effective leadership, operational and resource management, and business development. To assist in the development of strategic plans, recruitment, and training of staff, whilst implementing policies and procedures.
Duties and responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting the QMSU Deputy Managing Director with the development of strategic plans
- Ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the sport & fitness facilities with a high level of customer service.
- Effectively line managing the Qmotion Fitness Manager and Qmotion Reception & Group Exercise Manager.
- Having responsibility for the Sport & Fitness Centre finances and ensuring budget targets are met.
- To ensure services (e.g., group exercise classes, gym programme services, strength & conditioning support for student athletes) offered by the Sport & Fitness Centre are of a consistently high standard.
- Preparing reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Relevant sport related degree (e.g. sport science, coaching, or sport management)
- Management experience in a University Sport & Fitness Centre
- Experience of developing innovative solutions and contributing to strategic & operational planning
- Proven analytical and problem-solving capability
- Excellent attention to detail, IT and administration skills
- Ability to write reports, policies and presentations for formal meetings.
- Experience of managing and controlling budgets
- Ability to develop and manage projects/operational plans to time, budget and standard
- Strong interpersonal skills including negotiating, influencing and relationship building
- Trustworthy, reliable, and flexible with demonstrable integrity and an understanding of confidentiality issues
- Experience with writing risk assessments, and an understanding of H&S considerations within a sport & fitness centre
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others
- Experience of working in a pressured environment
- Ability to work unsocial hours including evenings & weekends as necessary
This an indefinite post. Starting salary will be in the Grade 5 range from £38,665 - £45,479 per annum, inclusive of London Allowance.
We offer competitive salaries, access to a generous pension scheme, 30 days’ leave per annum (pro-rata for part-time/fixed-term), a season ticket loan scheme and access to a comprehensive range of personal and professional development opportunities. In addition, we offer a range of work life balance and family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, and campus facilities including an on-site nursery at the Mile End campus. And free access to Sport & Fitness Centre facilities.
Queen Mary’s commitment to our diverse and inclusive community is embedded in our appointments processes. Reasonable adjustments will be made at each stage of the recruitment process for any candidate with a disability. We are open to considering applications from candidates wishing to work flexibly.
Informal enquiries should be addressed to Charlotte Kendrick at email@example.com or
on 0207 882 8040
Details about the Students Union can be found at www.qmsu.org
The closing date for applications is 10 October 2021. Interviews are expected to be held shortly thereafter.
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality