Department: School of Biological & Chemical Sciences
Salary: £26,717 - £32,956 per annum (Grade 3)
Date posted: 30-Aug-2017
Closing date: 01-Oct-2017
The School of Biological & Chemical Sciences (SBCS) is one of the largest Schools within QMUL and is committed to excellence in research and teaching, offering a lively and stimulating environment for both staff and students.
Applications are sought for a Biology Teaching Technician to work across the technical team principally assisting in the provision of technical services to support Biology teaching. The post holder will work under the general direction of the Teaching Technician Manager in order to realise the objectives of the School to provide exceptional quality teaching technical support.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
· Assisting in evaluating new techniques and equipment that may be of use to enhance the effectiveness of teaching carried out within the School.
· Providing exemplary practical technical support to students in laboratory classes to enable them to complete their practical work efficiently and safely.
· Providing support in research laboratories outside the teaching semesters.
· Knowing how to use all equipment within the teaching laboratories and the principal equipment within the cell and molecular research laboratories. As well as, developing an understanding of new equipment and techniques when needed.
· Assisting the TTM and Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory Manager in ensuring that University policies on Health and Safety and Ethics are applied.
· Ensuring that appropriate COSHH and risk assessment procedures are followed and documented for all laboratory and field work.
· Assisting in the safe handling, storage and disposal of equipment, glassware, and chemical, solvent and biological waste within the teaching laboratory.
· Working in a flexible and supportive manner covering for peaks in demand and ad hoc needs for technical support in laboratories across the School ensuring, as part of a technical team, there is high quality support for taught programmes and research.
Candidates must have a BSc in Biomedical Sciences or extensive work experience in a related laboratory technician role. Applicants must also have relevant experience of laboratory based teaching in higher or further education as well as a good understanding of concepts in physiology, microbiology, neurology and molecular biology.
The post is full time and permanent, with a salary of £26,717 - £32,956 per annum, inclusive of London Allowance. Benefits include 30 days annual leave, a defined benefit pension scheme and interest-free season ticket loan.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. Where required this may include entry clearance or continued leave to remain under the Points Based Immigration Scheme.
For further information about the School, please see www.sbcs.qmul.ac.uk.
To apply, please click the apply button on this page.
Application enquiries should be directed to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 1 October 2017 and interviews will be held on 12 October 2017.